Sunday 16 April 2023

Final post as Tumuaki of Hornby High School

When I began this professional blog seven years ago I had one key purpose in mind.

It was originally meant to document our Hornby High School journey for our community to see and celebrate. Over the seven years it has taken on other purposes too. 

It has allowed me to clarify my thinking as I have written lines describing what I have done and seen, and more importantly what others have done.

It has allowed me to keep our vision (a centre of creative excellence) to the forefront for our staff team and our community. 

And it has allowed me to model something important that we expect from all of our learners (staff and students alike): the practice of reflecting and blogging, an essential piece of the 'share' component of our 'learn, create, share' pedagogy and of our participation in the Manaiakalani kaupapa. This in particular has been transformational, something that is life changing for many akonga and many communities.

The Hornby High School part of my own journey is now at an end, although I am hopeful that the Hornby Hornby High School journey towards creative excellence can and will continue.  



I am grateful that the Hornby High Board of Trustees has agreed to pass the intellectual property rights to this blog to me so that I might be allowed to continue to develop my own thinking in the place, building on this past seven years of mahi, and to share that thinking with others. Their generosity is gratefully received.

So this is my last post as Tumuaki of Hornby High School. Future posts here will be a reflection of my thinking not as Tumuaki but as a private individual.

It seemed fitting that I share this piece of my own creativity at this point in time - a poem I crafted to reflect the end of my formal time in schools, the end to a 44 year career, a career that did indeed start when chalk was the norm, when overhead projectors were the new technology challenging teachers, when quite. a few teachers still wore gowns, and when schools were so often dull dreary environments of well worn and chipped paint work.


Haere rā, e kia ora,  e hoa mā!!!!

13 comments:

  1. All the best for your next journey in life - you will be missed in our professional learning circles. Ngā mihi nui, Robin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Kia ora/thanks Perky... I will miss the connection with you all, and your amazing mahi..
      Kia tau te mauri
      R

      Delete
  2. I have followed your blog with ongoing interest and admiration for your passion and intellect Robin. Thank you for your incredible contribution to our akonga and to the Manaiakalani whanau. Ma te atua tatou e manaaki. Arohanui Raina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Raina
      Thanks so much... and you make sure that PhD gets finished...
      Arohanui
      Robin

      Delete
  3. Kia ora Robin,
    You are and have been an inspirational colleague and a true tāonga for the our Uru Mānuka Kāhui Ako. You take me back (only for a few seconds) to the days of the carbon, smell of meths and the winding of the Banda handle. The development of an epidiascope and oh my goodness... then a computer!
    As I take from the 'one liners' how increasingly important relationships between our tamariki, whānau, and in deed our colleagues has become and what a pleasure to recognise and value each and every individual. This is something you have also done so well.
    Go well Robin, enjoy those many years!
    Noho haumaru, noho pai - stay safe, stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Wendy
      Thank you so much. You go well in those next stages of Uru Mānuka's journey.. the KA is in good hands!!!
      Kia tau te mauri
      Robin

      Delete
  4. Go well Robin! Your legacy for creativity and learning will live on.
    Take care and enjoy your next journey!
    Arohanui,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Mandy
      A legacy of creativity is not a bad thing to have achieved, and I feel privileged to have such a comment made about me.. kia ora/thanks!
      You look after yourself eh!!
      Kia tau te mauri
      Robin

      Delete
  5. Kia pai tō ora e hoa
    He left
    to recover
    We stayed
    to run the cheese evenings
    He left
    Satisfied
    ready
    “tank emptied”
    We stayed
    Buoyed
    by the sharing
    this vibrant high school creating.
    He left
    to drink wine
    eat cake
    breathe it in
    We stayed
    Digital chalk turning and young people bringing joy
    Has he left?
    I can hear his voice
    Anticipate his reflection
    See a legacy
    Smile and await

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave
      That is abso-blooming-lutely b**y wonderful. Kia ora e hoa!!

      Delete
  6. All the very best Robin. Have enjoyed following your blog and will look forward to your future musings! Go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Karyn.. go well in your on journey too,... 'it ain't over 'til it's over' ... eh

      Delete