Tuesday 26 July 2022

Permission to be creative

I'm quite interested in creativity. Actually, I'm really interested in creativity. Well alright, I'm more than a little obsessed with creativity, what it is, what it looks like in schools, and how we lead to support creativity in those schools.

When we talk about creativity, it's really helpful to know what we mean. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that creativity is the creative or performing arts. Yep, it is, But it's much more than that. It exists in technology, maths, science, social sciences, languages, in fact in everything that we do. But more than that, it helps to define what it means to be human, to be who we are, and therefore I think it helps us to understand out potential in this life, to gain meaning from our lives.

It is important that we have a shared understanding of what we mean by 'creativity', after all our vision is to be 'he puna auaha, a centre of creative excellence', and creativity is at the centre of our Manaiakalani pedagogy 'Learn, Create, Share'.

A colleague (Scott) shared this wonderful video with me today, a video by Ethan Hawke. I'll leave Ethan to do the talking. This is well worth the 9 minutes you will invest in watching it. I think it helps.




3 comments:

  1. It’s challenging and confronting to be vulnerable enough to play the fool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Robin, has really got me thinking about what actually creativity is and can look like! Creativity is actually pervasive and underpins everything we do ... as Ethan Hawke says in the video, creativity is 'vital' and I agree with 'playing the fool' at times. And, I had not considered leadership necessarily a creative disposition ... need to think about that one more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it really interesting what he said in regards to creativity, assessment, and childhood. Is assessment the enemy of creativity? Can it be sometimes? Some really good points to ponder!

    ReplyDelete