Friday 7 May 2021

Te Rito Toi 5 .... cultural diversity, the sense of self, and creativity

We were in  Blenheim supporting our daughter running the St Clair half marathon (she managed a PB.. ka mau te wehi, Natasha!!). 


As we wandered in the vineyard area after the event I came across an artist in the process of creating art (painting) as people went about their business of celebrating, eating, and drinking. I plucked up the courage (I don't normally approach complete strangers quite like this) and asked her 'what do you feel as you paint? She looked at me, and I clarified 'not what do you think, what do you feel?' She replied "actually that's a really good question, I haven't thought about it quite like that before". As the conversation progressed it became clearer to me that she had thought about it before, but perhaps not in those terms. I also realised that I had perhaps asked a stupid question; this quote from 'Te Rito Toi Replanting creativity in post normal times' sprang to mind:

Gordon was trying to say the unsayable, struggling with thoughts that lay beyond the capacity of mere words to express. Pavlova, when asked what she meant by her interpretation of Swan Lake replied, ‘if I had been able to say it in words, do you think I should have gone to all the trouble of dancing it?’

(Clarence Beeby, Director General of Education, at the funeral of Gordon Tovey in May 1974).

I told her that, as best I could recall the quote (as a story rather than a quote, my memory isn't that good.)

Anyway, our conversation progressed, and she spoke in terms of her own inner self and her sense of self, how she 'felt' about herself, and life, about the world in which she lived, and her desire to say things that she couldn't say in words (in precisely the way that Pavlova is reputed to have done).

Professor O'Connor and his team have identified 11 dimensions that potentially activate creativity, and I have listed those before.

I have another 'wondering'. Whatever drivers we might be able to describe in our schooling systems, our innate creativity perhaps cannot be activated unless we have a level of self awareness, a level of confidence, in who we are. Specifically I wonder if we need to have a sense that we are culturally located, that we have at least some connection with our whakapapa, before our creative potential can be unleashed. I'm not suggesting that being 'culturally located, culturally safe', generates creativity per se. My wondering is if being in such a state and place is one of those 'necessary but not sufficient' conditions, and therefore if we could avoid some of the tendency to 'kill creativity' if we were better at this?

If so, this adds another dimension to the already overriding moral obligation on schools to ensure that they build and maintain culturally responsive and sustainable environments. Every child ought to be able to bring their cultural back pack inside the school gates. I'm sure all kura try. How well do we do? How well is Te Huruhuru Ao o Horomaka Hornby High School doing?

Is it also possible, in my own wondering, that creativity comes from an inner conflict as we struggle to see, to know, to come to terms with our own inner self, our place in the world, and our whakapapa? It was interesting to read in a recent edition of 'The Listener' (May 8-14 2021) about the role of conflict in creativity, particularly in group settings.


I'm not proposing that we set students up in conflict in order to generate creativity. It's just interesting.

I have also thought about the role of stress. I wonder if creativity is perhaps more likely to occur in some settings when we are close to the edge of our comfort zone. Is that the 'place' we have to be to find the motivation to seek new solutions, to find new ideas? Is creativity enhanced when we experience eustress (as opposed to distress .. "Eustress is a word used to describe stress that is positive, motivating, and enhances functioning while distress refers to bad and overwhelming stress that impairs functioning." https://www.choosingtherapy.com/eustress-vs-distress/#:~:text=Eustress%20is%20a%20word%20used,overwhelming%20stress%20that%20impairs%20functioning. )

I wonder if schools that support diverse cultural identity more effectively end up seeing higher levels of creativity from students (regardless of curriculum area or kura activity)? Is it possible that schools with more culturally diverse student and staff populations are more predisposed to greater creativity, assuming the other drivers of creativity are activated? How would/could we find out? Difficult, I suspect, if it is (as I suggest) one of those 'necessary but not sufficient; conditions. Mind you, could this be an interesting application of the CAST Creative Schools Index?

None of this is any sort of 'claim', there is no suggestion that any of this is some sort of truth. It is simply what I have 'wondered'. It also strengthens the case for the Manaiakalani pedagogy 'Learn Create Share', doesn't it? Our typically lower decile schools tend to reflect wide cultural diversity. Here's a thought: if any of my other wonderings are true (IF), then are our more culturally diverse schools the potential powerhouses for creativity and innovation across Aotearoa? 

Food for thought, eh!!




 

9 comments:

  1. I like the eustress concept as it such a positive description of an essential part of the creative process. It is what we feel in the "learning pit". I sometimes feel that "I feel anxious-stressed-nervous" is self limiting when it just means I am not there YET, I can't do that YET.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Joanne
      I am loving the thoughtful comments you are offering in this thread of my thinking. Thanks for taking me back to the concept of the 'learning pit', and making the connection with eustress. This is a fantastic connection.
      Ngā mihi
      Robin

      Delete
  2. Great provocations, Robin! I'm wondering what those who are driving culturally responsive and relational pedagogies & curriculum development might say to your questions, particularly "if being in such a state and place [level of self awareness & confidence, in who we are; culturally located & connected to ones whakapapa] is one of those 'necessary but not sufficient' conditions, and therefore if we could avoid some of the tendency to 'kill creativity' if we were better at this?" My hunch is... "Yes, spot on!"
    Also, interested to know if there might be a body of research that unpacks 'the creative power of culturally diverse schools'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Deirdre
      Thank for the response. Like you, I am interested in whether or not there is a body of research around the creative power of diverse schools.. I am actively seeking out any work that might have been completed so far, and opportunity to investigate this further.

      Delete
  3. Tēnā koe Robin. Another thought-provoking, challenging blog, and thank you for a new word to add to my vocabulary list - 'eustress'.
    I am inclined to agree that creativity cannot be activated unless there is a certain level of confidence, I think this would probably pertain to most learning.
    I strongly agree we have a moral and professional obligation to nurture language, culture and identity. This is a prerequisite for positive wellbeing and learning outcomes for our learners. Very difficult for creativity to flourish without this foundation.
    I believe our Learn Create Share pedagogy, which includes sight, sound and motion, along with culturally responsive awareness and practices, has the potential to overcome many of the barriers our learners in low decile communities face.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora e hoa... I have continued ti think about tis (and may write more soon). My hunch is that this connection isn't a linear, one way thing. I suspect that it is complex, and multi directional - cultural confidence fuels creativity, and creativity cultivates cultural confidence. I strongly suspect that cultural safety is a better term there.

      Delete
  4. Often I can be asked about a talk I have given that might have moved people. I say that I talk by 'feel'. I think this is an amalgam of cultural and psychological factors that feed into a moment, perhaps a learning moment, where connection with the audience in this case happens of itself, like riding a wave. At that moment it feels effortless but to get to that moment requires multi-micro moments of learning, self-reflection and practice. The eustress is in the lead-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this thought provoking series Robin. I have followed with interest and enjoyed your pieces and the reflections from your commenters.
    In light of this post I am pondering on the creativity exuding from preschoolers (I have a few moko in that category currently!)
    Yes, they are confidently and securely located in the warmth of their culture / community. But I do not see stress driving their creativity, rather a sense of joy. That moment they gift you something made from an egg carton with a sprinkle of glitter and a leaf hanging awkwardly from it- and the smile reaches each ear as they KNOW you will want to display it on the fridge!
    Is this something to be recaptured or do adults evolve from this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Dorothy
      This is a great point. We should never forget the joy that ought to be inherent in creativity, both in the process and the product. It brings my mind back to Peter O'Connor, those 11 dimensions of creativity, and 'playfulness. As adults many of us allow ourselves to get caught up in the 'seriousness' of life ..

      Delete